When planning a camping trip, it is critical that you purchase the right hammock gear. Not all hammocks are designed for recreational camping; therefore, you want one that can handle the ruggedness of the outdoors, but also provide you with comfort.
Hammocks are becoming a favorite item for camping, especially with more campers wanting to follow the authentic approach to camping instead of the tent and sleeping bag route.
History of the Hammock
Hammocks have been around since the times of the Native Americans and the Spanish conquest. While the dates are not for certain, hammocks are seen as far back as 1590, when they were used for the Royal Navy ships.
The word “hammock” comes from Taino culture, which means a stretch of cloth. The first hammocks were made from woven bark, which was far from comfortable but provided the much-needed support for sleeping and resting. Central and South America used hammocks because it suspended them above the ground, which protected inhabitants from snakes, ants, and dangerous creatures that spread disease.
Hammock: A Camping Gear List Must-Have
Hammocks are practical for camping. They are easy to transport, and they are made from comfortable fibers today that make them worthwhile to sleep in — and keep you up off the ground. If you were to scour the hammock forums, you would find some campers that make their hammocks out of materials they find at the campsite, while others will recommend a manufactured version.
Just some benefits to using a hammock for sleeping while you camp includes:
- Comfort: Hammocks are extremely comfortable, and they have no pressure points. Your body can rest with ease, and it is fully supported. You might even feel as though you are sleeping on air because you do not have the same pressures applied as on a mattress.
- Improved Sleep Quality: A good night’s rest before a long hike is important. With a hammock, you could get a deeper, longer sleep than a sleeping bag on the ground.
- Affordability: When looking for camping gear, no one wants to spend a fortune. Hammocks are surprisingly affordable, even the higher end models. More importantly, they are durable so that you get the most out of your investment.
- Stress Relief: Feeling stressed about the activities planned for the next day? You can sway back and forth and enjoy a soothing sensation that comes from your hammock. It is a primal rocking motion that provides natural comfort, much like a baby being rocked gently to sleep.
- Easy to Use: No rolling up sleeping bags and packing away tents. With a hammock, you find a tree, suspend it, then take it down in the morning.
What is the Best Hammock for Camping?
There are quite a few hammocks recommended for camping, but one of the best is the ENO Doublenest Hammock. When you read the ENO Doublenest Hammock review, you will see that it comes in a variety of color combinations and it is one of the easiest hammocks to setup and pack away.
It comes with wire gate aluminum carabiners and can hold up to 400 pounds, so, a couple could sleep in it for the night with ease. Also, it has heavy-duty straps, which makes it easier to tie around trees. The nylon is breathable and dries quickly, so you do not have to worry if it gets wet on a hike. While most use it for hiking and camping, others will set it up at their home for relaxation.
There are other brands of camping and hiking hammocks as well, but if you want one that is under $100 and offers maximum durability, the ENO Doublenest Hammock will be the best purchase for the price. You can also add accessories, such as the insect shield to prevent bugs from attacking at night or during the day, or the hammock stand, which is ideal if you want to lounge at home.